Australia's population is becoming more receptive to EVs and taking a more active interest in EV technology overall.
Data from 2020 reveals that the number of EV sales continued to grow and even with the COVID-19 crisis, the Australian EV market has continued to prosper, with the petrol-electric Toyota RAV4 becoming the first-ever hybrid to top the monthly sales charts Down Under just (August 2020).
We estimate up to 40 electric vehicles are being sold in Australia every day.
Even though Australian's have had a somewhat limited range of EV options to choose from in recent years – the Tesla, Nissan LEAF, MINI Electric, and Hyundai IONIQ Electric are the only three full-electric vehicles on the market right now – many more models are on the way!
A much wider selection of vehicles is set to hit Australian shores in the weeks, months, and years to come. Here's just a small selection of some of the vehicles we can hope to see on Australian roads throughout the next decade:
- Audi e-tron GT, Audi's first performance saloon EV.
- Audi Q4 e-tron - Those looking for something smaller and sportier can opt for the Audi Q4 e-tron, expected to release in 2021.
- BMW i4 - A four-door, battery-powered coupe based on BMW's popular 4 Series.
- Citroen C6 - Citroen brings the classic flagship back with all-new electric technology.
- Fiat 500e - One of the most popular compact city slickers is going electric too.
- Jaguar XJ - This timeless British classic is undergoing an electric makeover.
- Lexus G5 - A large-scale sedan from Lexus could hit Australian roads in the next few years.
- Mazda MX-30 - Mazda's first EV is generating a lot of hype.
- Porsche Taycan - The coolest EV so far and frankly a JUCER favourite.
- Nissan Ariya - A medium-sized SUV for small families.
- Renault ZOE - An established EV enters its third generation.
With more options, improved charging stations, stronger accessibility options, and additional data to prove just how much more economic and eco-friendly an EV can be, we can expect to see further rises in sales as time goes by. In short, it's a very exciting time to be an EV enthusiast.
Disclaimer: JUCER does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the data and accepts no liability whatsoever arising from or connected in any way to the use or reliance upon this data.